Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Maya Environments

This a belated post on the 3D environments that we modeled, textured and lit in Maya.

My Idea for my room was loosely based on my interior background that I did for Animation Design.

I changed the design slightly, as I felt i wanted to do something at least slightly different but keep a similar feel. I produced a loose sketch for it. (which wont upload for some reason)

This is my final render of the room.



I am pleased with what I have produced. I think that the modeling is decent and fairly detailed, particularly the stereo. I think the texturing is fair, the bed and carpet I like, the bump map on the walls is a little too strong and needs to be toned back a bit, especially considering the look of the rest of it. The main problem with it is that it is too dark. The strength of the ambient light needs to be increased to help light some of the detail that is missing in the shadows; whilst the shadow does bring a dynamic to the room it still needs to reveal more detail. The light emitting from the lamp on the bedside table needs to be softened and dimmed as the shadows it creates are too harsh and bold. All in all though, I'm reasonably happy with my attempt.

Here is the polygon render to show all elements without shadow.